Pages

Thursday 25 November 2010

Can bad shots really lead to good golf?






How I'd rock the range at the Ryder Cup.

It's tragic.

I've devised a range drill I'd love to use at the Ryder Cup. It would astound, amaze and astonish onlookers. This routine would ensure everyone was talking about me.

I'd lure opponents towards the rocky shores of complacency whilst quietly topping up my confidence.

I'd be able to hide a bad session - because my poor shots would often look like good ones.

The only problem? I might not get the opportunity to use it.

I'm all for positive thinking, but at the tender age of 36 it's a bit of a stretch to see me playing in Samuel Ryder's tournament. I shall share it with you instead.

Here's a brief precis: I'd hit "poor" shots. On purpose. Sound good?

It doesn't?

Please allow me to explain a little further.

The unique selling point of this approach is it opens the door to a wide gamut of shots.

Shots opponents, commentators and spectators wouldn't believe anyone would deliberately attempt.


I'd get to stride off the range brimming with quiet confidence yet no-one would be able to understand why. People might start to whisper I'd cracked under pressure. I'd have lowered others' expectations, whilst stealthily becoming more confident.

As I'd be the only person who knew what shot I was planning to create, I'd be the only person who knew if a shot had failed or succeeded. What might in reality be a poor outcome could look like a good shot to the uniformed observer, making any difficulties less obvious.

How on Earth would I achieve this?

I'd devise a way of picking shots at random. I already use a dice rolling application on my phone on the chipping green to ensure I don't only give myself easy shots from good lies. A successful up & down from an impossible position is incredibly satisfying, and my short game and scores have significantly improved as a result.

With this drill I'd develop the concept, using a number of dice to define each shot in great detail. I'd include all sorts of factors in addition to the selection of club, ball flight and target. There would be a "wild-card" which if activated would require a speciality shot (a flop shot, for example, is always fun with a 5 iron) as well as factoring in pushes, pulls and "punched" shots.

Why go to all this trouble?

It's easy to see how this might have the desired effect at a high profile event like the Ryder Cup or The Open Championship. Television in particular is hungry for news to fill the gaps between shots, and commentators would be all over something like this. There's a reasonable crowd around the range at most professional events, so this might even work there.

But is it really relevant to the club golfer?

The benefits given above do not justify such an elaborate regime; indeed, their focus on factors outwith my control is less than ideal. But they're really only fringe benefits, pleasant side effects of a most worthwhile exercise.


My method leads to mastery by cultivating control, creativity and confidence.

I'm aiming to push myself to the very limit of my ability to control the club, instead of booming ego-boosters with my "Big Dog". It's all too easy to fall into the bad habit of "scrape & hit" hitting shot after shot in the same general direction, scraping ball after ball over with your club until your balls are spent. It might be fun, but it's an inefficient way to improve.

With this drill the shots are selected at random. I'll never know what shot I'll be asked to hit next. Much like golf on an unfamiliar course, there is no chance of slipping into a comfort zone.

To succeed, I'll need to divorce myself from outcome and focus on process, just as I have to do on the course. Anyone who's played knows golf can throw up any number of tricky situations. The experience of creating specific shots to order in a pressured environment undoubtedly increases my chance of escaping unscathed.

In short, it simulates golf but adds pressure and a demands a higher degree of technical proficiency - a powerful tool for improvement.

I'll be to spending some time developing this before adding it to my range routine. If you're interested, let me know; I'd be delighted to share.

As ever, I'd love to hear your feedback, positive or otherwise. Is there anything I might be able to help you with? If so, please feel free to leave a comment below, or catch me on Twitter (@The_Golf_Geek). I'm looking forward to hearing from you.










3 comments:

  1. Nice! Fun though the "Big Dog" is, I haven't played a game yet when I've hit it 50 times in a row! When I head down the range I love imagining playing a round at my local course. So the first shot is a driver, the second depends on where I imagine my ball would have finished and so on. Sometimes this makes my next shot and club very random! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your comments Adam, much appreciated. I've also visualised the course at the range, but find I can sometimes lapse into giving myself easier shots than I should; I also need to remember to use markers to define fairways, hazards & the like. This probably says more about my attention span than it does about the method! I also use Neil Plimmer's deep practice challenges to help keep me focused, but I must say I like the game aspect of this one- you could use it with a friend for a bit of competitive practice. Hopefully should help me take my range game to the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Geek,

    Great way to practice.

    Exactly like you said, my college team would play this exact game against each other.

    A nice little competitive environment that allows only one chance to pull it off.

    Sounds just like the course.

    Keep them coming.

    JG

    ReplyDelete