Pages

Wednesday 19 May 2010

A frustrating 48 at Gairloch

(scorecard and stats here )

...Got out for 9 at the inlaws, and started so well (for me)- Bogey, par, par with two nice consecutive up and downs, and with a lip-out for par (and another up & down) on the first. In fact I managed a 'sandy' on the 2nd, only my second ever. I've added a 42 degree Cleveland Niblick to my scoring arsenal, and I'm loving it. Good for chips from tight lies with a putting stroke, standard chips, pitches and right up to full shots. It's replaced my 44 degree PW, and compliments my Eidolon wedges (48,54,60 degrees)

Trouble started on the 4th, the green keeper chatted for a bit, I set up, felt uneasy, backed off and changed my aim. Deliberately, but was too aggressive (hoping for another par) hit trees, had to take an unplayable as ball was beside tree, dropped ball and it rolled to the bottom of the hill (not sure on the rules on this, will have to check!) was further from the hole, so played it there, down in 3 for a triple.

Round went a bit more poorly after that, had a heavy chip (head up) and pitch at the next two holes, a 3 putt on the next, but came to the 8th with a good score possible. The 8th is a card wrecker lurking. The only par 5 on the course, it's the only true links hole on the course, with heavy reeds and OOB all down the left, and the fairway drops off on the right (although there are other fairways nearby, the course is ingeniously folded into a tiny parcel of land). You can then play over a deep rough filled gully (very deep, both the rough & the gully) cutting the corner, or play to the top off the bluff, where there's a very steep sided hill, with yet more deep rough before the fairway carrys on, dog legging left. Hit it too straight and too far over the fairway, and there is (you guessed it) still more deep rough. And as it's played blind, it's a lost ball more often than not. The green is big and has some wicked borrows, as do all of the greens there. The course isn't long, but it's by no means easy. The course record is apparently 1-under.

My drive just bounced off the right hand side of the fairway into the rough. I played smart out, with a 1/2 9 iron, a bit shorter than I intended. I was just at the gully, and decided to play over it with my 6 wood- usually a club I'm very comfortable with, and feel even my mishits are useable. Sadly the draw of the gully (known to members and myself as 'the hole') was too much. Too keen to hit over, I tensed and topped it in. It landed halfway down, and took 2 shots to get ball out onto the semi rough on at the foot of the hole. A 7 iron (should have played a 6) fell short of the green, then an indifferent chip and three putt for a vexing 10. Nearly redeemed myself a little with a par at the last, but my putt (on intended path and pace) just went over the 'cellophane bridge the horseshoed out, leaving a tap in for a bogey.

Although I'm disappointed with this round, a number of things went very well, and I want to record them. I was in the sand twice, got up and down from there once and very nearly twice. Was thoroughly involved in the process for these shots, and they came out as I'd envisaged. I was in a wee 'dwalm' after they'd been hit, it took a second to connect in my head that the ball I was seeing was the one I'd just hit, a sure sign of being absorbed in the process. I managed to stay in the process (not always as well as this, but still pretty well) on a much higher percentage of shots, my putting is improving and can improve still further, just by doing more of what I've been doing (and so I feel on the right track) I had a number of good chips and pitches, again arising from a process focus. I was aware when I started to go too far into the future (eg when I started to think about what I'd say on here!) and I'm starting to catch that. I experimented with thinking of the riff fro the White Stripes "7 Nation Army" any time that happened (it's very useful to block out the most irritatingly persistent "earworm" tunes) and it was useful.

So what went wrong? Not enough process. Although more in the process on shots, I was still too aware of my scores so far and my potential final score- that was what led me to try hitting over the 'hole' (need a 5 to keep my score good) and then stopped me just taking an 'unplayable' drop when the ball went into the gully. Thinking of the gully as 'The Hole' hasn't been helpful either- would have played a big part in increasing tension before and during my swing, and the head lift that all caused me to top the ball. I should have played safer in the fairway if in any doubt. I was about 180 back- 2 3/4 niblicks would have done it. Putting needs more work but has improved considerably with the work I've done, and aiming and setup with my "gamer" mallet has definitely been improved by a few sessions with the backup blade- having to work out how to set up and aim the blade, getting used to it then swapping back and re-learning the mallet. Found this out by accident as the blade was at my folks' where we'd been on holiday, with no space to take my main bag, so was using a spare bag I'd left there for my brother, now in Sydney (I'll put it back before you come back Euan!). Discovered by accident, but as a method it'll stay in the bag- might even try it with other clubs too (eg less offset irons, different loft driver etc).

I need also to look at how to get out of trouble efficiently and with the minimum of damage. I'm reading Dave Pelz' Damage Control, and will see how that goes. I may also look at Seizo Mazer's Game Sense for this and strategic advice- I like the audio book idea, and also have Zen putting on audio book for the commute.

Instead of getting discouraged, I'm looking at how far my game has improved in the last while. My best scores may not be that much better than last year, but I'm getting them much more frequently and my worst scores are much better. My best shots are again similar, but my worst shots have improved greatly. It would be wrong to lose the faith, I'll keep inching along the plateau until my scoring improves ;-)

See you on the putting green!

No comments:

Post a Comment