Pages

Sunday 2 May 2010

First Medal Score: 104

You might think I'd be disappointed with that score, and you would be right. But not in fact that disappointed. Yes, it's at the upper end of my usual range; yes, I want to do better. But frankly I was just too happy to be out to be upset, and I'm finally getting to play with (and watch) battle hardened golfers. And I like what I see.

There was also an awful lot to be happy with. I was pretty nervous about the first drive, particularly as there was a bantering group behind us on the tee. Fortunately Laurence and Charlie noticed this and asked if I wanted to go first- the first of many things for which I'm grateful to this pair. I hit a reasonable shot- a little shorter than usual, a little right of where aimed but this wasn't due to an open club-face as it would usually be. We were playing into a strong headwind. It's not unusual to have wind on the course- after all, it's a links course in the North East of Scotland- but it was in the opposite direction to the prevailing wind. Second shot fell short, third was indifferent, then a chip and one putt for a respectable 5. A good start.

Things went wrong on the second. A drive shorter than my usual, again into the wind. I was about 190-200 out, and therefore decided to play 2 iron shots into the green, in accordance with my pre-round plan. Given the wind and playing from an sharply uphill lie I hit a three quarter 8 iron, and then went to hit a similar 9 iron. I wasn't happy over the ball...but still hit the shot; what Dr Joe Parent describes as an "anyway". As usual, the result wasn't good. I hit a dribbly little top into a bunker, short siding myself. First shot left the ball in the sand, second took way too much sand and only just popped out with a chip and a putt for a 7. I started to get a bit down on myself- we were finishing a hole just before the group ahead tee'd off, so time was not an issue.

Crucially, I didn't see this and didn't realise my focus had gone from the shot and 'feeling' the club-face onto the ball onto not embarrassing myself and not holding things up. From a positive to negative focus, with predictable result. I shanked the next tee shot, a 4H(24 deg) to a par three, into tall grass, put recovery into a deep bunker, hit w-a-y too hard off the back of the green, onto a downslope then hit without deciding between a pitch or a chip, fluffed it, hit a chip with my lob wedge rather than go back to get a more appropriate club before hitting first putt way past and four feet wide, then getting down in tow more.

If that last paragraph seems breathless and rushed, that's because it was. I wasn't stopping and taking my time to focus and think, just wanted it to be over to get finished. But even with getting an 8 with all the time these shots took we still had to wait on the next tee. I deviated from my plan as I'd decided I was going to come out of that particular bunker sideways; whilst it may be OK to deviate from a plan it should only happen after some thought something that was definitely lacking.

Fortunately, I caught myself on my way to the next tee. I realised I was scurrying, hunched over, the body language and gait of a man who wanted it to be over. That's not the way to be on the 17th tee, let alone the 4th. I stood tall, put my shoulders back and loped my customary lope with a smile on my face.

I'd love to say that magically sorted everything out, but of course it didn't. The wind was still blowing, the course was substantially longer from the Medal tees and I was regretting leaving my 6 iron out for a 9 wood. But it made all the difference to my attitude and perception, and I started hitting shots that got genuine approval from my playing partners. It was really interesting to see them. My game is improving, but often they weren't hitting shots that were much better than mine, but they were making better decisions on shot and club selection. It feels a bit like learning to drive a car - once you pass your test you start learning how to drive. I feel like I can really move forward from here, that it might not take too long before scores start improving.

I was out in 57, and came back in 47. I focused much better on shots, and hit some lovely shots into the greens. Despite taking my putter too far back and decelerating (the thing I'm working on this next week!) giving me some difficulty controlling my putts, I putted reasonably well. I did have a few misses from short range, but a shorter stroke will sort that. I largely stuck to my plan, played lots of 3/4 and full 9 irons into the greens with good success, largely held onto my focus apart from the odd shot here and there and it never even occurred to me to think of mechanics between shots. Of the things I've started working on after the Instinctive Golf day, I seem to have adopted the baseball grip without too much distress, my club was almost always square and I seem to be starting to be a bit less rigid at address. The last of these is what's giving me the most difficulty, but it's coming into line. It's important to remember I've only been working on these for a fortnight and I've not been at the range once (although I have hit a few balls in the playing fields near home), so this is really very promising.

What will I change next week? Well, I'll be trying to get to the range to try out my 9 degree driver. The 12 degree is too high for a windy links course, really. The 9 wood will come out of my bag, as it's probably too high to consider, and I'll leave the 24 degree hybrid in. I will try to get out to the 6 hole course with my 4 & 5 irons, as if I can start to hit these reliably, the lower flight they offer means that they should probably be considered for the bag, although I suspect next week will be too early for that. And I do love my 6 wood. I'll be working hard on maintaining focus, and not being quite so rushed onto the first tee. I'm going stretch every day this week, and before the round too. I'll add a bit more variety and fruit to my on course snacks, and drink water more frequently. I'm going to change my plan so that I'll be hitting more full/three-quarter 9 irons into the green. But not that much, really.

At home, it'll be putting, putting, putting, with me trying to explore making a shorter, more positive stroke. If anyone reading has any suggestions on how to accomplish this, I would really appreciate it if you'd leave a comment.

I'd like to finish by thanking my playing partners, Laurence and Charlie, once again for taking me out and offering advice and tolerance. Cheers boys, same time next week?


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good learning experience. Take the good and keep working the plan.

    Great work!

    John

    ReplyDelete