Pages

Monday 20 December 2010

Choose your own reality.

The facts may not lie but do they provide the whole truth? Exploring alternate realities may be surprisingly helpful. 


We can choose how we perceive any given situation; why not elect to see things in the way that best suits your needs?

Recently friend told me about a long-running argument with his girlfriend; she maintains that "everyone is special" whilst he makes the point if everyone is outstanding, then no-one is. He then asked what I thought.

My opinion?

They're both correct, and in equal measure. Neither has the ascendancy.

Over on the Pro Sports Psychology Forum, Dr E Kingston shows an optical illusion and then provides a set of statistics from a soccer team. He then goes on to give a number of interpretations, all of which are true. 

The full post can be found here: 


This is a liberating realisation; no longer must we be slaves to our first perception of our situation. We always have options (a friend once illustrated this by pointing out that even if we were to find ourselves facing a firing squad we could choose to have our eyes open or closed! An extreme example perhaps, but true nonetheless)

The crucial question then becomes - what is the best way for me to view this situation so that it leads to my advantage? Where is the positive?

My last post was intended to be light-hearted, but not frivolous. Look at the end - all of these are things I've said to help me find the positive in a round that many would have seen as disappointing. I'm frequently teased for relentlessly seeking the positive, but would I really benefit from negativity?  I see it all the time on Twitter - golfers who are way better than the average denigrating their games, talking themselves down incessantly.

To be clear: I'm not advocating attempting to improve through false positivity; I'm not suggesting that you tell yourself things that are untrue but aspirational. You may try that if you wish - but I certainly won't be joining you. Everything I'm saying is true; all I'm doing is examining the facts as they are and then choosing to interpret them in the fashion that drives me forward in the best possible manner. We have a choice in how we interpret any situation; knowing this means we can choose whichever viewpoint is most advantageous.

Or...you could continue to talk yourself down, take the most negative opinion and keep on throwing those clubs.

Just know that if you do, I'll be smiling...it's pretty easy for me to find the advantage in that situation.

1 comment:

  1. Dr Geek

    Very pertinent. Choosing how you see things is the core to all mental game work - and life! It's sometimes easy to forget that we have a choice how to respond. The difference between being the victim of our emotions or making a conscious choice to change perspective is rather like the difference between being an animal and being a human! Keep it up Dr.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete